Two long-time employees of the Emporia School District will be recognized today as Hopkins Award winners.
Awards were made to: Ann Fullen, secretary at Mary Herbert Education Center, and Bob Fancher, director of the Maintenance Department. Fullen has been with the district since 1989 and has been a secretary at Lowther Middle School, Maynard Elementary, Lowther South Intermediate School and the district offices. Fancher has been maintenance director since 2009
Each recipient received a $2,000 cash award donated by the Hopkins Foundation. The awards were presented by Michelle Hopkins-Molinaro, vice president and managing director of the foundation. In addition, each honoree received $1,000 to spend on something to benefit a school or district program.
Since 2002, the Hopkins Foundation has given approximately $360,000 to 185 teachers and support staff members in the Emporia schools. The awards program was a dream of Molinaro’s grandfather, E.L. Hopkins, as a way to reward educators.
Hopkins Award nominations are submitted throughout the year. A selection committee meets at least quarterly to review nominations and select winners. All winners receive a $2,000 cash award to be used any way the recipient wishes, plus a $1,000 cash award to use toward a school district project of their choosing.
The recipients of the award are individuals who have gone above and beyond their normal job responsibilities. Winners exemplify one or more of these criteria:
- Innovation/Initiative/Simplification that demonstrates leadership or participation in a project or process of improvement that aligns with the district mission and/or streamlines operations.
- Collaboration as one team, school or district that demonstrates an outstanding commitment to teamwork by thinking creatively, removing internal boundaries and communicating effectively.
- Noteworthy Service that is extraordinary and exceeds expectations.
- Inspiring others to try new things or excel in new ways.
- Commitment to excellence in any endeavor that enhances the workplace and creates a positive work environment and culture of learning.