Board Policies – Section B – School Board Operations
The board shall conduct executive sessions only as provided by law.
Sample Motion I move that the board go into executive session for the purpose of discussing 1-7 (a statutorily approved reason and justification) and that the board return to the open meeting at ___________o’clock in this room.
1) Personnel matters for nonelected personnel;
*Justification: To protect the privacy interests of an identifiable individual.
2) Consultation with an attorney which would be deemed privileged in attorney-client relationship;
*Justification: To protect attorney-client privilege and the public interest.
3) Matters relating to employer-employee negotiations whether or not in consultation with the representative or representatives of the body or agency.
*Justification: To protect the district’s right to the confidentiality of its negotiating position and the public interest.
4) Confidential data relating to financial affairs or trade secrets of corporations, partnerships, trusts, and individual proprietorships;
*Justification: To protect the privacy rights of a corporation, partnership, trust, etc. with regard to their financial affairs.
5) Matters relating to actions adversely or favorably affecting a person as a student, except that any such person shall have the right to a public hearing if requested by that person;
*Justification: To protect the privacy rights of a student who is identifiable.
6) Preliminary discussion relating to the acquisition of real property;
*Justification: To protect the district’s financial interest and bargaining position.
7) Matters relating to the security of the board, the school, school buildings or facilities or the information system of the school;
*Justification: To ensure the security of the school, school buildings or facilities and/or the information system of the school are not jeopardized.
*Explanation of reason for executive session.
NO BINDING ACTION SHALL BE TAKEN DURING CLOSED OR EXECUTIVE SESSIONS
When a motion is made to go into executive session, all blanks in the sample motion must be filled in.
The purpose for the executive session will be one of the seven reasons stated in BCBK.
The time the board will return to the open meeting will be specifically stated. If necessary, the executive session may be extended with another motion made after the board returns to open session.
The motion will explain why one of the seven statutorily acceptable reasons was chosen.
Approved: April 24, 2013