Senior Scholarship Newsletter
ESU Scholarship Information
FHTC Scholarship Information
USD253 General Scholarship
The Emporia Unified School District Scholarship Fund was established by combining the Mrs. W. T. Colyar Scholarship Fund, Dr. Carl and Mrs. Frances James Scholarship Fund and several other memorial funds into one fund to provide financial assistance to deserving Emporia High School graduates who are planning to continue their post-secondary education.
The James, Richel, Trimble, Colyar and Emporia USD Scholarship awards may vary from year to year depending on the amount of money available from accrued interest and the number of individual participants. The $1,000 Catherine Brown Scholarship will be awarded to a senior who is entering the field of mathematics and/or science. Two additional $500 scholarships will be awarded to the previous year’s recipient upon the student’s completion of satisfactory freshman and sophomore years.
Two $500 scholarships will be awarded each year from the Wood and Charlotte Bloxom Scholarship Fund. One $500 award will be made to an EHS senior and a second $500 award will be made to the previous year’s recipients (as designated by the board of trustees) upon the student’s completion of a satisfactory freshman year. If the designated recipient does not qualify, the $500 scholarship will be awarded to the previous year’s alternate upon his or her qualification or to another EHS senior.
Final decisions on awards will be made by the scholarship committee. The committee will base its decision on the applicant’s high school grades, financial need, character and recommendations from high school faculty members. In all cases, the committee’s decision will be final.
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of need for financial aid, scholarship and leadership.
- Students must substantiate the need for funds to finance their college or vocational education.
- Students must be in the top one-third of the Emporia High School graduating class.
- Students must have completed requirements for graduation at Emporia High School by the date of commencement.
- Students must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an approved college, university, vocational or technical training school.
Application deadline is 12:00 noon on Friday, April 8, 2016.
The recipients will be announced at the Emporia High School awards assembly in April. All scholarships must be claimed in the year awarded and cannot be deferred.
Also see: USD253 Scholarship Criteria below